Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fun, friends...and walmart shopping.

You know what was nice today? Sleeping in!! I must be getting old though, because sleeping in means something very different to me today than it did 10 years ago. Today sleeping in means like 9 - 10 am max. This morning's sleep in was until about 9. It was still a nice change.

I stayed in bed as long as I possibly could, then gave up on going back to sleep. I got up, made toast and tried to decide what I wanted to do. Walk or shop? Hmmm....


My husband woke up a while later (I really procrastinated my decision this morning) and mentioned that he wanted to go to Walmart. He twisted my rubber arm and we went to the mall. When I got there, I caved and had a Starbucks soy chai latte.


I felt a little guilty at first. One of my goals for this month was to drink Starbucks on Tuesdays, Thursdays and once on the weekend. Well I had one yesterday, so this was my second this weekend...which is why there was some guilt. But then I told myself to chill out. Why? Because I've been doing great this far and the amount of healthy decisions I'm making these days far outweigh the bad. If I don't cut myself some slack once and awhile, I'll be in trouble. Reason being? Because I will never be able to perfectly follow every fitness and nutrition goal I set for myself without the occassional slip. And if I act like it's the end of the world when I deviate from my goal, I'll get frustrated, down on myself and give up completely. I know this from previous experience. So I've learned my lesson, learned to shut that nasty voice in my head up and instead, just enjoyed my latte!

While I enjoyed my latte, my husband and I shopped around Walmart. Up and down a zillion aisles later and we happened upon an aisle that had bathroom scales. And there was my dilemma. My husband has been suggesting that he might like to get a scale lately. He wants to monitor his weight. However, having a scale in my house is toxic for me. I know I've explained this before, but in case you're just tuning in...when I have a scale, I go completely OCD on checking my weight. I check my weight like 10 times a day...it's ridiculous. I told myself that when I tried to change my lifestyle this time, I was going to assess with measurements and the good ol' how do my clothes fit method. But I couldn't help but be curious.So I compromised with myself (and with my husband). I got on the scale for the first time in like 2 years. And despite the fact that I told myself I wasn't going to care what the number was, I couldn't help but smile when I saw the result. 120 lbs on the dot! This made me so happy because despite the fact that muscle weighs more than fat, I was somewhere around the weight I used to be happy with. The last time I weighed myself I was somewhere in the 130s, and I know for sure I wasn't happy with how I felt or looked. So even though I don't know exactly what the amount lost was, I did know for sure that there was progress...and it made me proud! My hard work is paying off and I can't wait to keep working hard! In case you are wondering...the (somewhat ghetto and half joking) compromise I made with my husband is that I would bring him shopping with me once per week to check his weight haha!! I'm not sure how my hubby feels about that, but I do know he doesn't like when I obsess about my weight so maybe he'll go for it!! At the very least, he didn't push the issue of buying a scale!

After our shopping trip, we went home and I made myself a quick salad. It was on a dinner sized plate, but consisted of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, red onion, tomatoes, shredded marble cheese and sunflower seeds with 1Tbs Italian dressing so I wasn't too concerned.


Then, I walked to Safeway to get the last few things I needed for tomorrow. This was followed by going \home to clean my house. I'm going to be honest - I was feeling pretty lazy today. So was my husband. So we got about 1/2 the amount of cleaning done that I had planned. Guess I know what we'll be doing this week...

A few hours later and it was time to get ready for dinner. As much as I miss my daughter like crazy (she's still on her trip), one of the nice things about all the free time is that my husband and I have had time to connect with our friends for some adult time. So tonight, we decided to go for dinner with our friends at Hell's Kitchen. For those of you that aren't from the Vancouver area - this restaurant has nothing to do with the Chef Ramsay show. However, the pizza there is fantastic!!


Everyone else had the special (a Ceasar) for their drink. I decided to be a princess and have a glass of red wine instead. I like my wine okay? Yumm....  With dinner, our friends ordered some appies - yam fries and a started salad. Since they are awesome, they shared. But I held back on the yam fries and had salad instead.


Is it bad if I admit that I wanted to not have fries so that I could justify a second glass of wine later??

Next up was our pizza. I ordered the 'Old School' pizza. It was a vegetarian pizza with red onion, spinach, tomato, olives and feta cheese.This thin crust baby was delicious. It was so good that I ate half for dinner...

...and packed the other half for lunch tomorrow! After great conversation (with our friends and with our daughter who called to say goodnight), we headed out and stopped in at our friend's house for a night cap before heading home.


Thanks guys! This was awesome, lots of fun, and I can't wait to do it again. This time I plan to make it happen sooner rather than later!

When my husband and I got home, I felt a little tipsy. Apparently I'm a lightweight now. When did this happen? Because being tipsy and late night snacking go hand in hand, I had a little snack before bed...a protein bar. Those chocolate cravings are killer!

 

But these bars are a great solution! While I ate this, my husband and I watched tonight's episode of Big Brother, and I told him all the reasons why I should probably have another glass of wine before bed. Sadly, he did not endorse any of my justifications so I eventually gave up on trying to talk myself into it. Point inner skinny girl. Instead, I came on here to do my blog. Now I'm going to bed. Quickly. My husband's already there and the bottle of wine in the fridge is calling my name....better get to sleep before I get into trouble haha! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment