Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Sunday surprises!!

I was so happy when I woke up Sunday morning. I FINALLY had bought Kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal so  I could resume my go-to breakfast of cereal and yogurt.


Off to a good start today! Shortly after I ate breakfast, I went to pick my daughter up from her sleepover. The sun was shining and it was a beautiful day so I decided I wanted to take advantage of the great weather and go walk around Stanley Park. Who knows how long it will stay nice enough to do that?! My husband knew I was possibly still a bit annoyed with him and he wanted me to not be annoyed anymore so he decided doing the stuff I like would help speed that process up. So he didn't even bat an eye when I suggested that before we walked the WHOLE seawall I'd really like to go shopping at Queensborough. I needed new work pants because my old ones are getting too baggy and Ricki's was having a sale! Yay!

When we got to Queensborough I really REALLY wanted a Starbucks soy chai latte. I already had my one 'allowed' latte this weekend, but I told myself I deserved it with how well I've done so far (justification...) and had one.


Then I told myself it wouldn't be a habit...and it's going to be hard to stick to that. A nice warm drink feels really nice in the fall and winter.... Feel free to point out when I'm slipping okay!

I grabbed my drink and went to Ricki's. While I shopped, my husband and daughter hit up A & W for lunch (I opted out of that). It felt great to buy size 2 pants I must say!! In fact, it felt so good that I bought a matching shirt and sweater! I left the store with a smile on my face, met my family and headed to Stanley Park. Things were looking good for my husband. Happy Shanny is forgiving Shanny ;-)

When we got to Stanley Park, I was hungry because I skipped lunch. As we walked through the parking lot to the seawall, all I could smell was popcorn. So guess what that meant? That's right, we got some popcorn to eat while we walked. 


The bag was basically gone by the time we finished our walk. But it wasn't all me, it was all three of us. And it was good. Plus I got exercise while I ate.

On the way home we stopped at Walmart to get the things we needed for dinner. Tonight's menu consisted of chicken / tofu fingers, yam fries / tater tots and edamame. Chicken strips dipped in egg and coated with crushed chips for the meat eaters and tofu strips as outlined in the recipe. Yam fries (adapted from the sweet potato fries recipe) for me and my daughter and seasoned tater tots for my husband who doesn't eat yam fries. And edamame for me!

We arrived home and while I prepped the stuff for dinner I ate my last oatmeal-raisin cookie.


And then I got a phone call. And then my night changed.

My dad called me and said "hey Shan I'm just with my girlfriend up the street at Safeway and was wondering if we should stay at a hotel or if we can stay with you?" Um what??? Apparently they drove up from Winnipeg as a favour to a friend (delivered her car), were staying a week and then flying home...and my dad decided to surprise me!! Don't get me wrong, I love my dad and I also love surprises. It's actually not very often that anyone has actually been able to surprise me! I'm pretty perceptive. BUT my house was an absolute disaster and I was now having houseguests in less than five minutes. And it was the first time I was meeting my dad's girlfriend in person! Way to make a first impression..."hi, my name is Shannon and I live in a mess. Nice to meet you." Ughh!!

My husband, daughter and I did a 2 minute house clean that basically consisted of throwing tons of crap from the living room and kitchen onto my bedroom floor. Out of sight out of mind! Luckily, my husband was in the process of doing dishes so the mountain of dishes on my kitchen counters was in the process of being washed. It wasn't as bad as it would've been if my dad just knocked on my door!

Despite this, I was super happy to see my dad! I missed him and savour every second I can with my family who all (with the exception of one) live really far away. And it was made even better by the fact that I immediately got along with my dad's girlfriend. It made me feel better that she was just as mortified by my dad's idea of just stopping in as I was with meeting someone for the first time in my super messy house! Perfect! We had an understanding :-)

All of this of course made me want a glass of wine, which was convenient given that they had brought me a bottle.


I was completely in shock so it took longer than it usually good to make supper. And also, as I was scrambling to turn my meal for three into a meal for five, I completely forgot the edamame. Oh well!


You can see I subbed the edamame for some of my husband's seasoned tater tots. Maybe not equal nutritional value, but hey...they tasted great. I also should confess that I may of stole two or three more tater tots off of my husband's plate...they didn't make it into the photo.

After dinner, we relaxed in the living room, watched TV and caught up with each other. And because it was a social event, I had one more glass of wine. And somehow, I forgot that I was supposed to go for a run this evening....oops again.


I don't really know what to make about my eating day. When I look back, it seems like not a very good eating day, but there were some good things about it. On the positive side I did eat protein (tofu), and breakfast (cereal with yogurt), which are both goals of mine, and also baked yam fries instead of normal french fries. On the bad side, I skipped lunch and opted for an oatmeal cookie and popcorn instead, drank a chai latte on an 'off' day, had tater tots with my meal and drank two glasses of wine (instead of one). It seems like I meet some goals on one day and other goals on other days, but never all of them on the same day! If I could get that down, I'd be set!

In the meantime, I'm going to just worry myself with enjoying some time with my dad. And since I'm happy about weight loss and new pants, exercise at Stanley Park AND my dad visiting...my husband was easily and completely forgiven by the end of the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment