Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The last day of the long weekend

Yes! Another sleep in! I <3 long weekends!

After I woke up, I downed a banana and prepped myself for day 2 of my new running schedule. I promised myself I'd eat something more substantial when I got back from my run.


Today's training plan was the same as yesterdays: run 15 minutes, walk 2, run 15 more. And just like yesterday, I ran the first 15 minutes without stopping (but still felt like I was going to drop). When I got to walk for 2 minutes, I had mixed emotions. Thankful for the break, happy to be walking and terrified of the upcoming 15 minute run. I then reminded myself of the following...


...braced myself and gave it my best shot!

Guess what? I did it! All together, in the 32 minutes of my run (and mini walk) I went 5.71km...and it felt pretty damn good to accomplish that!

And when I got home, I ate a protein bar after downing a ton of water.


I hopped in the shower, then remembered that I told myself I'd have breakfast when I returned. I hadn't bought cereal yet, didn't want oatmeal and wasn't going to eat toast AGAIN, so I opted for a smoothie. My family wanted smoothies too so I took requests. My daugther wanted a peanut butter/banana smoothie, so I added some milk, fresh blueberries, ice cubes and a squirt of honey and voila! Her's was done. She said it was the yummiest smoothie ever. Next up was mine and my husband's. I blended together a banana, frozen mixed berries, milk, ice cubes, a squirt of honey, greek blueberry yogurt and flax seed and voila again! Ours was done...and pretty yummy too!


After my smoothie, I headed to the grocery store to get some food for back-to-school week. I left my family at home because grocery shopping is cheaper that way. An hour or two and three stops later, I managed to get what I needed. My family had ventured out on a walk to meet me, so I picked them up on my way home which worked out wonderfully...I had people to help carry in the bags!

While I put the groceries away, I had a little snack. Hummous and Mary's organic rice crackers...on a big plate 'cause the little ones were all dirty!


After my snack, I poured myself a glass of wine and got started on dinner.


Tonight's feature was vegetarian spinach and four cheese manicotti.I make it just like the recipe says...and this is definitely a recipe worth trying. I used to make a meat manicotti for my family in addition to this one...but they like this one enough that they don't mind if I skip out on the meat one now and again. Good news and less work for me!


As you can see from my salad sized plate, I had two pieces of manicotti. I also shared a piece of garlic bread with my husband. I feel like protein and veggies were seriously missing from my plate today, so I'll have to work on that tomorrow. Either way dinner tasted good and filled my tummy!

After dinner was a quiet night around the house followed by an early bed time. First day of school tomorrow! Thankfully, it's only a 45 minute stop in at school in the morning and as much as I can't help but think that's a waste of time, it makes me happy that I don't have to come up with a school lunch! And on that note...you'll have to read my next post to see what tomorrow brings in terms of food choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment